Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A success story ; the power of fitness for health, for weight loss etc

Name: Kay Alexander
Age: 58
Height: 5'3"
Before Weight: 273 pounds
I started eating more and moving less. The pounds piled on and thesedentary lifestyle started to take a toll on my health as well.
By 2010, my weight was double the normal weight for a woman my height.
How I Lost It: In April 2010, with the support of my husband and family, I began exercising and modifying my diet. I started exercising very gradually. I was nervous because of the heart attack and also my bad knees. I started with 15 minutes on the treadmill at a slow walk. By the time I left cardiac rehab, I was working out for 20 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the NuStep, 10 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes of weights. The first time I tried the elliptical was the longest five minutes ofmy life.
After I had lost about 50 pounds, I started wearing a pedometer and tracking my steps. I averaged about 5,000 to 6,000 steps a day at first. Now I average about 16,000 steps a day. I go tothe gym five to six times a week. I do cardio every time I go, and about 30 minutes of weights three times a week. Mike and I go togther on Sunday mornings.
Source